Friday, April 15, 2005

World Problems

I was in one of the classrooms for higher levels (level 10) today at work. I saw on the wall a huge piece of butcher paper with the world map drawn on, and post-its on it.
Each of the post-it was labeling a country, about 20 or so labeled and my first impression was like "oh they're learning about the names of the countries"
but after examining it, under the names of the countries, there were words like "polygamy", "Children eating", "Sex slaves".

I assumed that those are the topics they talk about in class to get the students participate in talking over Moral issues around the world.
China was the only country that has the "fetus consumption" label and United States is the only country with the "Abortion" label. I really don't think US is the only country with that problem though. Anyway, but to my surprise, US also has "Sex Slaves", specifically Asian sex slaves...
interesting huh?