Friday, September 16, 2005

What parents do to keep children busy while they're working

There are soooo many after school programs for kids out there. I worked at one of them teaching science to kindergarten and elementary school kids, public and private schools. And when I'm surfing on Craigslist, I see under the education employment section that there are so many companies looking for people doing this part time, paying $15~$20 / class (3 hrs long each). so if they work 5 days a week, that's $100 a week, $400 a month. this is not even enough to cover for baby sitting, and surprise I've seen A LOT of them look for babysitters so they can go work there, and then they eventually realize that they're loosing more money, so they quit.
So what kind of people get this kind of job? You would think students, but surprise surprise! a lot of them are people who

1.) don't have the education to find better jobs
2.) in the process of looking for a new job
3.) students

So, do you want to leave your kids to #1 kind of people?? hm... I wouldn't. And unfortunatly most of the after school program teachers fall under this category.
and what about #2? a little better? Well, they eventually figure out that they're not making enough with this job and the work load does not compensate the salary (they make you do a WHOLE LOT of prep work), and will switch to a new job quickly. This category includes me. Which is why the companies are always looking for new teachers!
#3, is similar, students. But student schedule may not always meet with the classes. They sometimes have to skip the after school program classes for tests, meetings, etc. and there are nobody else to cover for them.

So what's the problem with always hiring new teachers??? Well, they lower their requirements for a teacher! during my interview, my interviewer just asked me if I think I'm capable, and I said yes, and I was hired on that spot, doing the paper work etc. NOT EVEN A BACKGROUND CHECK! since they're so desperate for teachers!! They seem to hire anybody who needs a job.

Now, do you want to send your kids to after school programs??