Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What we pay...

Have you ever said "no" to a doctor/dentist/vet/optometrist who does an examination on you or prescribes something to you? Like they'll said "oh this is good for you" or "you really need this" or sometimes they just simply do it and charge you for it.

I find it especially true at a vet. Every single time I go, it's at least $200 after all the examinations only to find out there's nothing wrong with my dog. So the vet just made $200 off a healthy dog. Or they prescribe something that the dog doesn't need.

Allen's mom does it the same way. After the acupuncture session, she'll take out all these herbs for the patient and charge them $100 without explaining which ones are really necessary (and let the patient choose?). I guess in her view, all the herbs are necessary to keep a healthy body. But as a consumer, do I really want to spend $100 on these herbs when I don't need them? The funny thing is that none of her patients ever say "no I don't want it" although one patient did ask if she needed all that. She ended up with 2 bottles instead of 5. I think it's because we feel like the doctors know what they're doing, so we never question anything the doctor says and just take our our wallet and blindly pay for everything.

I find it true with mechanics too. Because we're so ignorant with our cars that if a mechanic says that something's wrong and we need to fix it, we will, despite that watever it is can still last another few years or so.

I'm going to be more skeptical from now on when someone makes me pay for something. Definitly think twice to see whether you need it, or else you'd be paying big bucks for something you don't really need. Learn to say "no."