Saturday, March 12, 2005

Emergency??

I called 911 again today. This is the second time that I can remember calling 911. Well, it's not that big of an emergency really, but I bet I prevented some car accident. Anyway, so I was getting gas at Albertsons on Coit near Belt Line and I went into the convenient store to buy a drink and the lights went out (so I didn't get my drink). When I came back out, I noticed the pumps were off, and then I turned around and saw the traffic lights were out too. I got the the car and started driving on to the small street (I can't remember the name) and waited to turn left on Coit. It seemed to me that the other drivers were somewhat confused, so everybody stopped there and didn't move. I started moving and then people started honking, so I was like that's it, someone's gotta come direct traffic.

So when I called 911, it took them a while to enter the information into the computer and then at the end, the lady gave me some case number (assuming I can write them down while I drive?) and said somebody would be out there in about an hour... AN HOUR?? dang, that sure is some way of responding to emergency isn't it?

Oh the other time I called was when I was on the highway and there was a teenage looking girl (she was wearing a high school leather jacket) standing on the concrete block holding on to the light pole on the left side (while cars are passing her very closely at 80mph). I didn't remember seeing any broken cars on the side of the highway so I called 911. They were quite confused too, "A girl on the highway?"

You know, you can get addicted on calling 911. But of course, I wouldn't do it for fun... it does make me feel special, tho the response from them is completely unacceptable...